Tips for a happy and safe 4th

Happy 4th to you and your furry family members! Did you know that more pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year? Here are a few helpful tips to ensure that everyone (furry-friends included) have a fun and safe holiday weekend!

  • Keep your pet indoors or in a secured, escape-proof yard during the night’s fireworks.Dogs and cats don’t always understand that being inside is the safest place, and will run anywhere to get away from the source of the commotion.
  • Make sure your pet is wearing proper identification. An up-to-date tag greatly increases the chance of a lost pet being returned. If your pet is microchipped, make sure to check that your contact information on file is up to date.
  • Make sure your houseguests know to keep doors closed. Many dogs or cats will see an open door as an escape route.
  • Never use fireworks around pets!Exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of a curious pet. Many types of fireworks contain potentially toxic substances, so even an unused firework can pose a risk if ingested by your pet.
  • Always keep lighter fluid and matches out of your pet’s reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing- or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to the skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
  • Keep your pets on their normal diet. Even the slightest change in your pets’ normal diet can cause severe indigestion and diarrhea. Keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes/raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic. Heavily seasoned meats can be very hard on their gastrointestinal system. Make the grill off-limits and ask party guests to avoid feeding your pet table scraps.
  • Never leave alcoholic beverages unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic drinks have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed, or go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
  • Loud, crowded firework displays are no fun for pets. Resist the urge to bring them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your furry friends safe in a quiet, sheltered and escape proof area at home.
  • If you feel that your pet may need something to calm their nerves during loud festivities, ask us today so we can advise you on what is appropriate specifically for your pet.

What's Next

  • 1

    Call us or schedule an appointment online.

  • 2

    Meet with a doctor for an initial exam.

  • 3

    Put a plan together for your pet.